Travel

Tour operators’ outfit apologises, withdraws flood alert on Serengeti

Tanzania Association of Tour Operators acknowledges it had overstepped its mandate by issuing a notice on March 9, 2026, warning about a reported flood situation in the reserve.

THURSDAY March 12, 2026

Tourists vans negotiate through floods in Serengeti National Park. PHOTO | COURTESY.

By Adam Ihucha

The Tranquillity News Correspondent, Tanzania 

The Tanzania Association of Tour Operators (TATO) has formally withdrawn a public notice it issued earlier this week about alleged flooding in Serengeti National Park and issued a public apology to the government, tourism stakeholders and international visitors.

In a statement released on Wednesday March 11, 2026, TATO Chairman Wilbard George Chambulo acknowledges that the association had overstepped its mandate by issuing the notice on March 9, 2026, which warned about a reported flood situation in the iconic Tanzanian wildlife reserve.

“On behalf of TATO, I humbly and sincerely convey our apology to the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, our valued international visitors, tourism partners, development partners, stakeholders and the general public,” Chambulo said.

The association admitted that matters relating to national disaster situations, public safety alerts and official public communications fall under the jurisdiction of the government, particularly the country’s disaster management authorities.

TATO said it recognises that such responsibilities lie with government institutions, including the National Disaster Management Committee, which coordinates national responses to emergencies and public safety concerns.

On behalf of TATO, I humbly and sincerely convey our apology to the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, our valued international visitors, tourism partners, development partners, stakeholders and the general public,” Tanzania Association of Tour Operators Chairman Wilbard Chambulo.

“We acknowledge that issuing such a public notice was beyond the mandate and capacity of the association,” Chambulo said. “We did not intend to cause tension, interfere or assume responsibilities that fall under the government.”

The organisation described the earlier notice as an “error in judgment” and confirmed that the statement has now been formally withdrawn.

Serengeti National Park is one of Africa’s most famous wildlife destinations and a cornerstone of Tanzania’s tourism industry.

The park attracts hundreds of thousands of international visitors each year, many drawn by the annual Great Migration of wildebeest and zebras across the vast savannah.

Tourism is one of Tanzania’s largest sources of foreign exchange and employment, making public communications about safety or environmental conditions in major destinations particularly sensitive.

The Tanzania government has authorised an emergency repair budget of $3.2 million to restore damaged infrastructure. PHOTOS | FILE.

Industry analysts say inaccurate or premature alerts can quickly spread across global travel networks and potentially affect travel decisions.

In its statement, TATO reaffirmed its respect for government institutions and pledged to ensure that future issues related to disaster alerts, public safety or national advisories are handled by the appropriate authorities.

The association said it remains committed to working closely with the government to support the growth of Tanzania’s tourism industry in a responsible and coordinated manner.

“We reaffirm our respect for the Government and our continued commitment to supporting national tourism development,” Chambulo said.

TATO represents a large network of tour operators that markets and organises travel experiences across Tanzania’s major wildlife destinations, including the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Conservation Area and the Mount Kilimanjaro.

The Natural Resources and Tourism Minister,  Dr Ashatu Kijaji (Pointing)., inspects damaged infrastructure of the Serengeti National Park on Sunday March 8, 2026.

The organorganisatiys it hopes the clarification will reassure visitors and partners while reinforcing the importance of coordinated communication within the tourism industryΩ

Adam Ihucha

Adam Ihucha is a prominent Tanzanian journalist and author recognized for his extensive coverage of tourism, wildlife conservation, and economic issues in East Africa. Based in Arusha, he serves as a senior correspondent for The Tranquility News and is a long-time contributor to eTurboNews (eTN), where he provides global insights into Tanzania's travel industry.

Throughout his career, Ihucha has written for several major publications, including The Guardian (Tanzania) and The EastAfrican. His work frequently highlights the intersection of environmental conservation and economic development, covering critical topics such as anti-poaching initiatives, national park management, and regional trade within the East African Community. His journalism is noted for its advocacy for sustainable tourism and its role in documenting the achievements of Tanzania's tourism sector.
Email contact: ihucha@tranquilitynews.com

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker